Benefits of SoroRity Membership
Sororities have five basic benefits: sisterhood, scholarship, leadership, philanthropy, and socializing/networking.
Many college women seek something more than just classes and casual friends. Sororities can provide an environment that fosters personal growth and promotes lifelong friendships. In fact, many collegiate women see their sorority as a “home away from home.”
Along with friendship, laughter and fun, sorority membership provides opportunities for a life of learning and involvement. All Greek groups have a standard of excellence based on ideals, purposes, principles, and values, and sorority membership offers opportunities to help you reach your goals. Sororities not only set the standards for scholastic achievement, leadership development, and community service, they also stand by you as you strive to achieve your personal best. Regardless of which chapter you join, you will find a strong bond with women who will celebrate your accomplishments and share your hopes and dreams.
Sorority membership spans a lifetime. After collegiate days are over, alumnae women continue to stay involved in their local alumnae chapters as members and many serve as advisors to collegiate chapters. And when moving to a new community, you may find supportive network of sisters to ease your transition.
Responsibilties of Sorority Membership
Joining a sorority is a lifetime commitment that comes with responsibilities.
When you join, you will make a promise to uphold your sorority’s standards and to support your sisters. Two other obligations of members are time and money.
In addition to the time commitment to your studies, you will be expected to attend chapter meetings and other sorority events. Your attendance is required at some of these meetings and events.
You also have a financial obligation to pay your sorority expenses. All sororities have fees and those amounts vary from chapter to chapter. Examples of expenditures are one-time fees for new members, badges, and national enrollment. Other variable fees include dues, housing, and meals. The details regarding your financial commitment will be listed prior to your final decision to become a member.
Sororities strive to make membership as affordable as possible. Many sorority women hold jobs, receive financial aid or earn scholarships. There are also programs and scholarships for those who need assistance with membership.
85% of Fortune 500 Executives
85% of U.S. Supreme Court Justices since 1800
71% of the men and women in Who’s Who of America
76% of U.S. Congressmen
All but two U.S. Presidents since 1825
63% of U.S. President’s Cabinet Members since 1900
On 800 campuses across the U.S. and Canada
Collegiate Greek Life FAQs
What other activities are Greeks involved in?
- Study groups
- Campus organizations
- Community organizations
- Honor Societies
What other service activities are available to Greeks?
- Many groups require a certain amount of service hours per semester. You can choose from numerous local organizations and participate with friends in and out of the sorority.
- Opportunities to join philanthropy committee or serve a Philanthropic Chair that will allow you to choose and organize philanthropic activities for the sorority.
- Community Service Projects – Most sororities will participate in at least one large community service project as an organization. Examples are:
- Building a Habitat for Humanity house
- Collecting food/clothing for a local organization
- Working a soup kitchen
- Helping at a nursing home
- Holiday activities
Will there be leadership opportunities for me?
- All members have the opportunity to hold office and participate in many committees in the sorority.
- These leadership skills teach valuable lessons that you will use after graduation in your job.
- Members are encouraged to join other campus organizations. Many chapters have an office that gathers information about campus organizations to help members find an organization that fits their interests.
- Most sororities encourage members to get involved on campus – they provide a great support system of encouragement for all that get involved.
- Workshops are held to help build leadership skills.